- In cutting of carbon composite fibers (CFRP) with high strength and high opponent attacking property, the tool life will be improved greatly compared to the conventional diamond coating by adoption of the crystal diamond coating with higher crystalline and improved wear resistance.
【Example of application to drill】
Problem of CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastics) processing
CFRP = Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics
New material of carbon fiber fabrics layered and hardened with resin
1) Wear progresses quickly.
- Hard carbon fiber: 6,000 to 8,000 HV
⇒ For the conventional diamond coating, wear progresses quickly and the life is short.
2) Delamination and residual fibers occur easily.
- If the tool does not cut well, laminated carbon fibers will not be cut, and delamination or residual fibers will occur, resulting in quality defect.
3) Weak against heat
- The heat resisting temperature of resin is about 200℃:
The processing heat cannot be increased.
⇒ A sharp cutting blade excellent in cutting performance with low resistance is necessary.